The church was dedicated in 1893. The church leaders wanted the building to symbolize liberty, new birth, progress and hope, and therefore chose the Renaissance style of architecture.
The building is in the shape of a cross. The architects for the new church were Messrs. Carrere and Hastings of New York, a major Beaux-Arts firm. The building is made of yellow brick and terra cotta. The vaulting is a superb example of the Guastavino tile construction. The paintings of the chancel are the work of Mr. Schladermundt of New York. There are eight stained glass windows. They are the work of Mr. J.A. Holzner who was artist and director of the glass works at Tiffany's for nearly ten years. The opalescent windows were fabricated by the Duffner and Kimberley Company of New York.
The sanctuary seats approximately 900 people.
In 1958 the two (damaged) church towers were razed and reconstructed.